PL Matchweek 26: Liverpool vs. Manchester United
Liverpool (6th) vs Manchester United (3rd)
PL MATCHWEEK 26: LIVERPOOL VS. MANCHESTER UNITED – Liverpool will be taking on Manchester United this Sunday. This is historically one of the biggest matchups in the Premier League, which will prove to have a tight betting market. Betting the moneyline on this one could be risky.
Liverpool have been in excellent form recently and are unbeaten in four of their previous five Premier League matches while keeping four consecutive clean sheets. But wins against a relegation battling Everton, a 10-man Newcastle, and a goal-lacking Wolverhampton aren’t enough to prove to me that the old Liverpool are back.
Manchester United are on a tear right now. They currently sit third in the Premier League table and are unbeaten in 10 of their previous 11 Premier League games. They have also averaged two goals per game, scoring 23 goals during that 11 game span.
Date: Sunday, 03/05/2023 at 11:30 AM EST
Pitch: Liverpool – Anfield, Livepool, England
Current PL Form: | Liverpool (LWWDW) | Manchester United (LWDWW) |
Last PL Match: | Liverpool 2 – 0 Wolverhampton | | Manchester United 3 – 0 Leicester City |
Head to Head
|Man. United||2-1||Liverpool||08/22/2022||Premier League|
|Man. United||4-0||Liverpool||07/12/2022||Club Friendly|
|Liverpool||4-0||Man. United||04/19/2022||Premier League|
|Man. United||0-5||Liverpool||10/24/2021||Premier League|
|Man. United||2-4||Liverpool||05/13/2021||Premier League|
Draft Kings Moneyline Odds: | HOME: +135 | TIE: +260 | AWAY: +180 |
Prop Bet: | Marcus Rashford to Score Anytime (+130) |
To say that Marcus Rashford is in the best form of his life right now is an understatement. He has scored at least one goal in nine of his last 10 Premier League games and is the third highest scorer in the Premier League at the moment.
Manchester United have been excellent on the counter this season. With Liverpool’s attacking style of play and constant forward runs by defenders, Liverpool will once again have an issue defending against through ball attacks. Marcus Rashford will be eager to put defender Trent Alexander-Arnold under pressure much like Vinicius Junior did in Livepool’s Champion’s League loss to Real Madrid.
- Liverpool will be without players Luis Diaz and Thiago Alcantara while Joe Gomez and Naby Keita are doubtful.
- Manchester United will be without Christian Eriksen, Anthony Martial, and Donny van de Beek while Jadon Sancho and Luke Shaw are doubtful.
- Liverpool have seen over 2.5 goals in their last six matches against Manchester United in all competitions.
- Liverpool have not allowed a goal in their previous four Premier League matches.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Liverpool’s last four Premier League matches.
- Manchester United have score at least 2 goals in their last five Premier League matches.
- Manchester have only lost 1 match in their previous 11 Premier League matches.
- Liverpool have only lost 1 home game (Premier League) this season and have a +18 goal differential at Anfield.
- Manchester United have a -3 goal differential in away matches this season and four of their five losses this season have come in away matches (Premier League).
Manchester United are the favorites on paper and have been in good form for the majority of the season. Both sides are playing particularly well at the moment and this fixture has produced 22 goals in the last five meetings, so expect an exciting end to end match.
Manchester United have not won a game at Anfield since January 2016, which means they have gone six away games without a win against Liverpool.
Also, Mohamed Salah, although currently not playing up to his typical standards, has scored more goals against Manchester United than any other opponont.
So…given Liverpool’s excellent form at Anfield this season and Manchester United’s average form in away games this season, I would not be surprised to see Liverpool steal a point here.