Newcastle United vs. Manchester United Expert Pick – April 2nd, 2023
NEWCASTLE UNITED VS. MANCHESTER UNITED EXPERT PICK – APRIL 2nd 2023 – Get ready for an exciting matchup this Sunday between two top 5 teams as Newcastle welcomes Manchester United to St. James’ Park. Just 3 points separate these two teams and Newcastle have a chance to not only get back into Champions League qualification with a win, but also leapfrog Manchester United in the table on goal differential.
Newcastle United have managed to win back to back games for the first time in 2023 and have only managed 3 total wins this calendar year. But, just because they aren’t necessarily winning doesn’t mean they are losing. They have only lost 1 game at home this season and only Brentford (12) have drawn more games than Newcastle (11) in the Premier League this season.
Manchester United are winless in their previous 2 Premier League matches, with a 7-0 defeat to Liverpool and a 0-0 draw against last place Southampton. Fulham are the only team in the top 10 that Manchester United has been able to beat away from home. Will they be able to solve their issues on the road? Losing Casemiro to another red card definitely won’t help.
Date: Sunday, 04/02/2023 at 11:30 AM EST
Pitch: Newcastle – St. James’ Park, Newcastle, England
Current PL Form: | Newcastle (DLLWW) | Manchester United (DWWLD) |
Last PL Match: | Nottingham Forest 1 – 2 Newcastle | | Manchester United 0 – 0 Southampton |
Head to Head
Draft Kings Moneyline Odds: | HOME: +130 | TIE: +235 | AWAY: +200 |
| Manchester United Win or Draw & Yes Both Teams to Score (SGP) (+145) |
Manchester United have an excellent record against Newcastle, picking up 5 wins and 2 draws in the previous 7 meetings between the clubs. However, only 3 teams have conceded more away goals than Manchester United in the Premier League. Manchester United have also only picked up 19 points from 11 matches without Casemiro in the lineup. I honestly don’t think that Newcastle are going to win this game, but I think the odds of a draw are very likely.
| Alexander Isak to Score Anytime (-105) |
Casemiro is out once again and in my opinion this will be huge for Alexander Isak. Without Casemiro, Manchester United will struggle to clamp down defensively and disrupt Isak’s ability to pick up the ball between the lines in midfield and dribble forward.
Alexander Isak has 3 goals in his last 2 matches and has drastically upgraded Newcastle’s attack. 5 of the last 7 meetings between these two teams have ended with both teams scoring and I expect that to be the case once again
- Manchester United: Donny van de Beek, Christian Eriksen, Alejandro Garnacho, and Casemiro are all likely ruled out for Sunday’s clash.
- Newcastle United: Miguel Almiron and Emil Krafth are ruled out for this match.
- Newcastle United are undefeated in 19 of their last 21 Premier League matches.
- Newcastle have seen under 2.5 goals in their last 2 matches against Manchester United in all competitions.
- Manchester United are undefeated in their previous 7 matches against Newcastle in all competitions.
- Only Bournemouth, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester City have allowed more away goals than Manchester United.
- Newcastle have only lost 1 game at home out of 13 total matches at St. James’ Park.
- Newcastle rank 2nd in the league in goals allowed at home and have conceded an average of 0.7 goals per game at St. James’ Park.
Newcastle’s form has improved over recent weeks and the will be looking for revenge after February’s League Cup final defeat to Manchester United. The absence of Casemiro and a lack of midfield depth should give Newcastle a glimmer of hope. With Newcastle very rarely suffering defeat at home, Manchester United’s rough road record and with the last 2 Premier League meetings between these sides ending in a draw, it is very likely that it could happen again.